Closeburn parish church
We are a Fellowship within the Church of Scotland worshipping God, whom we know as Father, Son and Holy Spirit. We confess Jesus Christ as Saviour, and serve Him as Lord, believing the Bible to be the Word of God.
We encourage the use of our church by the community and this is gradually developing. The church has been used for a number of concerts provided by local choirs. These have benefited both local and national charities as well as the church itself. There is also community involvement, publishing a joint Newsletter, and jointly developing the church garden for the benefit of the school and the community.
The primary school, which the minister visits, and the nursery welcome involvement with the Church. The School uses the church for their assemblies at Christmas, Easter and Harvest. The produce which they bring to the church for harvest is then distributed to a local care home, and to seniors in the community.
Services are usually every Sunday at 10.00 am. In accordance with the recent Scottish Government announcement our face to face services will resume on March 28th 2021 and every 2nd and 4th Sunday at 10am. Kirkmahoe Church will meet at 11.30am on 3rd Sundays. There will be an additional face to face service on Easter Sunday (April 4th 2021)
Services are still available online - see the home page for more information.
When we are able to worship without restrictions, you are invited to stay behind for refreshments (with home-baking) on the first Sunday of the month . This is served in the north wing of the church, the area used by children attending worship. There is no Sunday School. In the course of the service, several elders and members read the Scriptures and offer the Prayers of Intercession. All worship hymns and songs are projected.
Holy Communion is celebrated the last Sunday in April and the first of November.
Family services are held for Easter, Harvest Thanksgiving and Christmas. In June the local Community Gala Committee hold the Crowning of the Gala Queen in church. Children from the church and parish are encouraged to participate in these services, reading the scriptures and providing music and song.
A Christmas Eve Service is held each year, the offering from which is donated to local charities.
Wheelchair access and toilets are available.
During the time of COVID a link to the online service is emailed to members and is available on this website.
Parish and Church Building
Closeburn is a parish set in Mid Nithsdale, Dumfries and Galloway, straddling the A76 Dumfries to Kilmarnock trunk road, and stretching from Auldgirth in the south to near Thornhill in the north. The village of Closeburn is some 10 miles north of the University Town of Dumfries, where all major health and retail facilities can be found. The parish includes the village of Auldgirth some 4 miles south of Closeburn.
The parish population is shown in the Church of Scotland Statistics for Mission as 1,146, of which 54% are aged 45 years and over.
Closeburn itself has a primary school, nursery, shop/post office and some small industrial units used by local businesses, while Auldgirth has an inn and shop/cafe. The local secondary school, Wallace Hall Academy, and Health Centre are 3 miles north at Thornhill.
The history of the village of Closeburn dates back to as early as 1232 when Ivan de Kirkpatrick obtained a Charter to the castle and lands, and in 1671 the Kirkpatricks obtained a Charter of Barony together with the patronage of the united churches of Closeburn and Dalgarno. The Dalgarno church no longer exists.
The present Closeburn church, designed by the architect James Barbour, opened for worship in 1878. When he died in 1912 he left a fine legacy of 26 churches, most designed in the Gothic style. Closeburn is considered one of his finest and most impressive examples.
Where to find us
Closeburn Parish Church, Closeburn, Dumfriesshire, DG3 5HP
Travelling North on the A76 (from Dumfries) turn right just as you enter Closeburn to cross the railway bridge. The church is about a half mile along this road on the right just beyond Closeburn Primary School.
The church is visible from the A76.